Summer is a time for lots of fresh fruits and veggies. There’s always a point in the year when I stop heating things up and I start eating more sandwiches and salads. My body craves fresh textures and flavors, and I must obey!
I’ve been making this veggie wrap for about a month, and it gets better every time! It’s perfect to take on the go, and I’ve made it and carted it along to several baseball games. It’s vegan, accidentally nut-free and totally easy to throw together.
Start by gathering up your ingredients, most of which can be found in the produce drawer: a carrot, apple, half an avocado, and any salad green you have around. I used spinach here, but I’ve also used butter lettuce and romaine and had equally good results.
You’ll also need some hummus. Any brand, and probably any flavor will do here, but I usually just stick to the Trader Joe’s plain hummus. And finally, some large tortillas and tahini.
Start by laying the tortilla down and spreading it with a thick layer of hummus. Don’t skimp!
My Favorite Veggie Wrap
- 1 small apple, any variety (something sweet is preferred)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 handful salad greens (spinach, romaine, butter lettuce, spring mix…whatever you like!)
- 2 tbsp. hummus
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 large tortilla
- Chop the carrot into small sticks. Slice the apple thinly and cut the avocado half into slices.
- Spread the hummus onto the tortilla. Layer with carrot, apple and avocado slices.
- Add the greens on top and drizzle with the tahini.
- Wrap the tortilla in aluminum foil or parchment paper to prevent the filling from falling out the bottom. Enjoy!